Saturday, January 8, 2011

An unforgettable novel that ends too soon.

My wife found a reference to this novel in one of her Japanese language newspapers and suggested that I buy and read it. Am I ever happy that I did! 

Nina Revoyr has written a wonderful, gripping novel about some very tough times in our country, and has done so with understanding, compassion and feeling. Readers who lived through the era following World War Two will recall the ugly racial tensions of the era with all its denial, and the firestorms that erupted in Watts and other places as a result. Those who didn't live through it will get a harsh dose of reality as the protagonist searches for the killer of four black young men during the Watts riots, and the unexpected outcome as she discovers who the killer was.

Nina Revoyr is a good story teller and writer. Though an uncomfortable story and period in our history, I couldn't put this book down. I'm excited to say that her new novel, Wingshooters, will be out on March 1st of this year. I can't wait.


No comments: