Saturday, August 6, 2011

If you enjoy love and romance, you'll love this book by Jessica Degarmo

If you enjoy stories of love and romance, you will love this book by Jessica Degarmo.

When Caitlin Edison’s live-in boyfriend of ten years walked out on her because he was bored, she was devastated. If this was “love”, she wanted no more to do with it. Talking about it with her best girlfriends, one of them suggested a “sure-fire” cure she’d read about in a magazine. The cure? Go to a nice restaurant or bar, dress up fit to kill, and hook up for a one-nighter with the best-looking guy there. I couldn’t help but cringe.


Coming from a friend who was not only a virgin but a conservative, Church-going one at that, Caitlin is shocked. Hooking up for a one-nighter with a stranger? A sensible young woman, Caitlin rejects the suggestion. (I was relieved; having worked in the counseling field for years, I knew the suggestion was an accident guaranteed to happen, and I liked Caitlin.) But, since her mood doesn’t improve, she decides to give it a go. (My heart sank to my shoes.)


Dressed fit to kill, she goes to one of the next cafes in town, spots a melancholy handsome man sitting by himself, decides he’s the most likely candidate, walks up, introduces herself and suggests a tryst. (“Don’t do it!” I said. Rats! They go out the door and disappear. I wine, awaiting the recriminations and tears.)


Problem is, Jessica Degarmo is such a fine writer that I couldn’t put the book down and ended up falling in love with both Caitlin and her new beau Ryan.


If any two people have the personalities to make it work, Caitlin and Ryan certainly do. Does this mean the future is will be a bed of roses? Not at all. Custody disputes, learning to fit together as a couple, a toxic spouse and raising a child (and maybe more) are real life challenges that each of us face, have faced or will face.


Like I said at the beginning, if you enjoy stories of love and romance, you will love this one. I look forward to Jessica Degarmo’s next, to see where she takes couples on the seas of relationships, romance and marriage.


I give this a definite *****s.

No comments: