Monday, September 6, 2010

A gem of a memoir about novelist Frederick Manfred



Freya Manfred's memoir of her father, novelist Frederick Manfred, is a gem of a book, one that novelist Philip Roth a "classic". As a writer friend in Seattle said to me, it is unlike any memoir of a writer that he has read. I have to agree with him

Reading the book brought back all the fond memories I have about the man, his novels and the area he lived in and wrote about. If you're a writer or an aspiring writer, buy this book and mine it. I knew Frederick Manfred as a mentor during the few years that I knew him. A giant who stood six feet nine inches tall, he intimidated some people. But to me, an aspiring writer at the time, he was the kindest and most constructive of mentors to whom I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude. It was Fred who introduced me to John Milton, the editor of The South Dakota Review at the time, and encouraged me to send a short story to him. John published it and two of my articles over the next few years.

If you've not read any of Frederick Manfred's novels, look them up on Amazon, find one that looks interesting, and buy it. And, by all means, be sure to add Freya Manfred's fine book to your reading library.

Freya Manfred is a poet, and author of six poetry books. Her work has appeared in over 100 reviews and magazines and over 30 anthologies.

"Frederick Manfred: A Daughter Remembers, was nominated for a Minnesota Book Award and an Iowa Historical Society Benjamin F. Shambaugh Award.

1 comment:

Anuja said...

Wow! I would love to have a mentor like that. Sometimes I feel so damn alone simply because in my world nobody has the same passion for writing.